Friday, June 4, 2010

Surfing

The surfing expedition is a chance to have fun and learn a new skill while doing lots of exercises. On the first day, we were all looking forward to getting into the water and surf. The instructors Mark, Longy and Kate introduced themselves and gave us a debriefing on surfing and made us do some stretches. They also made us do some drills where we had to lie on the sand, pretend to paddle and stand up. When they said we could jump into the water for a surf, everyone ran into the water all excited.
Our first surf was at Corny Point. The conditions were great today. The sun was out, no wind, no rain and good surf. On the first day, everyone was a bit rusty. I got up quite a bit today but it looked very uncoordinated. Surprisingly it was very warm in the water and it was hard to believe that it was winter. We were very tired when we got out that day.
Our second day of surfing was at the Dust Bowl. It was another perfect day. Though the waves were bigger. Today I hung around Longy for a good amount of time and he taught me how to ride on the actual wave instead of the foam. He said you had to stand up as soon as you were moving and cut sidways on the wave instead of pointing the tip of your boad back to shore. As soon as I mastered this I had the time of my life. That was easily the best surfing day out of this whole expedition.
The conditions on our last day of surfing was horrible. It was very windy, cold and cloudy. We had to surf at Corny Point again because of the shocking weather. The day was cut short. as it became to windy and the rips were strong. I couldn't really improve my skill today because I couldn't get up enough. It was still fun though.

A few days later we surfed again at Berry Bay South. Today I found that I couldn't surf too well and I could only stand up a few times. The conditions today were perfect so I was disappointed that I didn't show any form. It was still really fun though and I still enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment