Friday, June 4, 2010

Cycle Tour



The start of our Wambana experience begins with a demanding cycle tour of the Southern Yorke Peninsula. It was a very enjoyable yet tiring trip. At night we also had to sleep in tents. We rode on surfaces such as bitumen, gravel, dirt, swamps and grass. The scenery is also very green and amazing.

Day 1. 31st May -

Our route for the first day of the tour was divided into two rides. The first ride was an easy 19km to West Cowie and back, and our second ride was through the Peasey Swamp to Warooka and back. Everyone was eager to set off on their first day of riding. But first we had to safety check our bikes in case any parts were faulty. From what other people have said, I thought I was going to get a very sore bum from all this riding, but I didn't. My bum must be very tough. The first day of riding was very easy for me as I do quite alot of riding at home. We rode along the Point Turton esplanade and roe on dirt roads on our first ride, which was to West Cowie and back. Not long after we were riding we arrived at an old, rusty, what used to be a school. The school was very old and run down and there wasn't much of it left. Bits of car parts and bits and pieces like shower heads were on the ground around the place. Moff, an instructor who was driving the bus behind us, showed us this old Holden which he really wants and he is going to buy it. The Holden is really old and dirty, though its pretty cool. After this we ate a few snacks and headed off.






One time when we were riding on a dirt road dividing two paddocks, These sheep came running at us. The bike instuctor, Pete, told us they wanted to eat us because us humans have a chemical which is in these sheeps diet (strange). We also had to carry our bikes as a punishment when we sopped as well because Tom Plant and I were caught riding with no hands, I mean come on! Just because we are good ;). When we were back for lunch, I had a muffin bar, a little mars bar, and two chilli chicken salad raps. I was hungry! After a little lunch, we headed off again. Soon after we were riding on a dirt road, we went into this swamp. At this swamp, the mud was really slippery meaning the bus couldn't go through so we were by ourselves. The swamp was really fun because we were getting so much drift in the slippery parts. It was really funny seeing people stack it. Eventually we went onto bitumen road which lead to Warooka. At Warooka, we quickly posted some letters and road back to Wambana. After Wanbana, We had dinner, which was spaghetti Balinese and slept in our tents.

Day 2. 1st June -

Everyone was stiff this morning because we had a very uncomfortable sleep in the tents and it was freezing that early morning. We went on quite a long bus ride to Innes National Park. The bus ride was fun because we were listening to really bad and loud music, and we were all talking to each other. When we arrived at Innes National Park, we took our bikes out of the trailer, and started riding. It was a good change to be riding on the bitumen instead of dirt, wet mud and grass. The views were fantastic. Everywhere you looked you could see something cool like fantastic views, good scenery, kangaroos and emu's. One time we rode own this massive hill which had a fantastic view of the ocean. Soon we would have to ride back up this hill. We stopped off at West Cape Light House. Today I ate a ham salad wrap. During lunch I wrote a few letters to my family. About an hour later we were ready to ride the 2 and 8 challenge. The 2 and 8 challenge is when you ride all the way back to the end point in the gears 2 and 8. I started this challenge by lifting my bike about 200 metres for doing this massive skid as I was really close to hitting a mate who was on foot. After this I went on my bike and started riding in the gears 2 and 8. I found this pretty easy as i am a strong rider. Though at the end of the day we had to ride back up that big hill. Again I found this quite easy. After I finished my ride, I helped encourage other people to ride up the hill. All of us felt fit enough to ride to Marion Bay to post our letters. So as a tight group we rode together to Marion Bay. That night we had lamb hot pot and a good night sleep was a great way to finish our day.

Day 3. 2nd June -

Today we rode the longest at a distance of 43km. It was mainly gravel with a bit of muddy plains. Today I decided to help one person he whole day. So I stayed next to him and encouraged him the whole way through. I was really proud of him at the end because he didn't give up. Lunch was fantastic again. I had another ham salad wrap. We were in a geen paddock a Weavers Lagoon with a view of a big lake. Again I wrote some letters to my family and then we set off again. The rest off the bike ride was pretty tough but I loved it because we were riding through slippery swamps. Again we got massive drift. Tom Plant and I decided to go off road and go through bigger and more swamps. This was really fun as we had to jump over bushes and stuff. eventually we arrived at a town where we put our bikes back in the trailor and drove home on the bus.

Day 4. 3rd June -

Our last day of riding felt the easiest as we were used to riding the long distances and also the roads we took were quite flat. The ride was pretty straight fourth. We saw some pretty cool views across paddocks and saw massive windmills. Eventually we stopped for lunch at Suicide Point for lunch. Another wrap gave me the energy to finish off he day. When we set off again we eventually reached those large windmills. They were massive being about 50 metres away from them. We rode along a dirt road for another 3km until reaching Edithburgh. Here we finnished the expedition. We said thanks to Pete, the bike instructer, then went for a swim. The water was freezing. All of us were forced to dunk our heads in the water and jump in deep freezing cold water before we all sprintd out to get warm because if we didn't, we wouldv'e been forced to sleep in our tents for another 3 days. After we were dry we hopped on the bus to go back to Wambana.

No comments:

Post a Comment