Friday, June 4, 2010

Community Service - Leisure Options

The idea of leisure options is to provide a volunteer based friendship with people with disabilities by spending time with them and being responsive and to listen to them while we are doing a lesure activity. A volunteer is someone who offers himself to someone elses service.
When we were on the bus on the way there, I was really scared because being around people with disabilities was right out of my comfort zone. I could remember seeing goose bumps on my skin. I couldn't help feeling guilty that I was feeling this way though. When the bus stopped. I couldv'e stayed in the bus my whole life, but no. We had to get out. A few people were waiting for us. I walked right past this big (about) 6 foot 4 big guy called Roger. I said, "How you doin'?" To him. He just glared right down at me straight into the barrel of my eyeball. Thinking of this as a bad dream, I was totally freaked and this was going to be a long day. We went into this small room where we had to sign in. All the people with disabilities came in and we were seriously outnumbered. I wasnt feeling good. When we all introduced ourselves we went to work. This was good because I needed the fresh air to settle down my heart rate. I was given a job with a person with a disability called Anthony. Our job was to lay gravel on the ground. The more time I worked with Anthony, the more I became confortable with hanging around people with disabilities.
Eventually we had lunch. When we were having lunch I went into this good conversation with about 6 people with disabilities. I have to admit, they loved listening to me talking about the fact that I have been the only person in my tutor group to have slept in a tent for being punnished. We were joking around and having a good laugh. It was only until now when I became comfortable with hanging around these people. After lunch we did some gardening. Gardening was more boring than doing the gravel but it was alright. Soon we had to leave. We were all in a group and said goodbye to each other and went back to Wambana.
Today I learnt that people with disabilities are not that different to people without disabilities. There is nothing wrong with them and they aren't scary at all. The most important thing is that people with disabilities still have feelings like us.

A week later Wambana hosted the people to come and do activities with us. Today I mostly cooked all the meat on the BBQ with Edward Boyd, Jack Luke, Tom Plant, Angus Lawrence and Riley Terrell. This was good fun. We were having a good laugh. eventually we served all the meat and had lunch. After that, Tom Plant and I worked with Wayne and Anthony to make the mosaic. We did this until Bairdy called everyone in so we can play some ball games. These ball games were a lot like tunnel ball and over and under. After this I played cards with a whole group of people until they eventually had to leave. Today I had good fun and I am really happy that Wambana do this leisure options because without it, I would've been uncomfortable with people with disabilities for my whole life, but now I am really comfortable with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment